This book is short sayings of wisdom, some from King Solomon. These words to the wise are are essentially ethics. Some main points are:
- "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools (i.e., morally deficient) despise wisdom and discipline." (Proverbs 1:7).
- "In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:6).
- "Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding." (Proverbs 4:7).
- "Say to wisdom, 'You are my sister (i.e, part of your family),' and call understanding your kinsman;" (Proverbs 7:4).
- "Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth." (Proverbs 10: 4).
- "Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous (i.e., morally right and just) will thrive like a green leaf." (Proverbs 11:28).
- "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent (i.e., wise) man overlooks an insult." (Proverbs 12:22).
- "In the way of righteousness there is life; along that path is immortality (i.e., endless life)." (Proverbs 12:28).
- "Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life." (Proverbs 16:31).
- "Acquitting the guilty and condemning the innocent -- the Lord detests them both." (Proverbs 17:15).
- "The heart of the discerning (i.e., persons who detect things) acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it (i.e., knowledge) out." (Proverbs 18:15).
- "Gold there is, and rubies in abundance, but lips that speak knowledge are a rare jewel." (Proverbs 20:15).
- "Better to live in the desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife." (Proverbs 21:19).
- "A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver and gold." (Proverbs 22:1).
- "A wise man has great power, and a man of knowledge increases strength." (Proverbs 24:5).
Proverbs councils against visiting prostitutes, countersigning notes, and being conceited. Proverbs advises to accept criticism, save for the future, work hard, be patient, and trust in the Lord. In one section (Proverbs 8 and 9), "Wisdom" is treated as a person who was with God when He made the world. Seeking wisdom is the main concept of Proverbs.