The Psalms is a collection of religious points (poems, hymns, prayers) of the Jewish people, some from King David. In Psalm 1, the good people are said to be like trees planted by streams of water whose leaves never die, whereas evil people blow away like chaff before the wind and are not safe on "Judgment Day." Other important points:
- "For the Lord is righteous, He loves justice; upright men will see His face." (Psalms 11:7).
- "...He drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, ..." (Psalms 18:16-17).
- "You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light." (Psalms 18:28).
- "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?..." (Psalms 22:1).
- "The Lord confides in those who fear Him; he makes His covenant (i.e., agreement; promises) known to them." (Psalms 25:14).
- "Into Your hands I commit my spirit..." (Psalms 31:5)
- "Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to You while You may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him." (Psalms 32: 6).
- "From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind; from His dwelling place He watches all who live on earth -- He Who forms the hearts of all, Who considers everything they do." (Psalms 33:13-15).
- "Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies. Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it." (Psalms 34:13-14).
- "Better the little that the righteous have than the wealth of many wicked;" (Psalms 37:16).
- "You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: he bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it. But now, my Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in You." (Psalms 39:5-7).
- "He alone is my Rock and my salvation; He is my Fortress, I will never be shaken." (Psalms 62:2).
- "For a thousand years in Your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night." (Psalms 90:4).
- "They will sing before the Lord, for He comes, He comes to judge the earth." (Psalms 96:13).
- "Praise the Lord. Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who finds great delight in His commands." (Psalms 112:1).
- "It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes." (Psalms 118:8-9).
- "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it ."(Psalms 118:24).
- Expression of predestination: "Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your Book before one of them came to be." (Psalms 139: 16).
The most remembered Psalm is the 23rd Psalm (from King James' Version, verses 1-6):
- The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
- He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.
- He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His Name's sake.
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff. They comfort me.
- Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
- Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.